December 20, 2019 Our Favorite Holiday Recipes: Polvorones – Mexican Wedding Cookies
From Caitlin Childs, Director of Communications: I learned to bake side by side with my mom using recipes from a cookbook her mom gave her when she moved into her own apartment in college. These classic cookies are beloved around the world, especially in my own home!
Polvorones – Mexican Wedding Cookies (or Russian Tea Cakes)
Makes 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teapoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped, toasted nuts (walnut or pecans are my fave!)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix thoroughly the butter, sugar and vanilla. Work in flour, salt, and nuts until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown.
- While warm, roll in a bowl of powdered sugar to coat. Let cool on wire racks. Roll in sugar again.